Monday, September 23, 2013

Almost there....




Today I completed most of my plastic canvas clutch purse. I still need to find a nice clasp to keep it closed. My intent was to write a quick post about the tips and tricks that learned while creating this project, but it ended up being a much deeper experience for me.




When I first chose to take on this project, I was excited and my mind was full of endless possibilities. I was inspired...full of excitement , and ready to dive in head first. I put so much energy into figuring out which colors and stitches I would use. I was passionate about this project. I finished the first section, and I was proud of the progress that I made from just 3 hours of work. I put the project away, and went to bed with the intention of waking up and finishing another section.



I woke up and started on a new section. This particular section required more detailing than the previous section. After an hour of stitching, I realized that I still had 4 more rows to complete in order to finish the section. The overwhelming thoughts of how much I had to complete made me feel as if I would never finish......so I put it away for 2 days. I didn't want to finish. I felt as if it was too much.


Something in me wouldn't let me quit. Something in me was telling me that I could do it. I have a habit of starting projects, and not finishing, but I made a choice to do something different. I had to dig deep to find a way to keep going. So I picked up the project and focused on one stitch at a time. Anytime my mind decided to travel down the "I will never finish" road, I had to shift my focus back to taking things one stitch at a time. Even when I was almost at the end, there were times that I wanted to quit. Before you knew it, all of the stitching was complete. I had done something that I didn't think I could do. I was excited at the beginning, but when the road got a little tough, I felt drained and depleted. I took a moment to rest and be still enough to quiet my brain. It was there in that moment when I knew that I had everything that I needed to get through this project. Instead of focusing on how much time it was going to take to do the entire project, I focused on living in the now....taking things one stitch at a time.

When you feel yourself wanting to give up on something you were once excited about, be still and reconnect, and find your focus. It could be your marriage, starting a business, or maybe fitness goals. Don't quit! Just focus on improving your marriage one day at a time. Focus on building your business one task at a time. You may be aiming to lose 50 pounds but somewhere along the way you got discouraged, depressed, and defeated. Don't quit! Get up and take it one day , meal , or exercise at a time.


Keep going!

Be Blessed

No comments:

Post a Comment